Sunday, January 3, 2010

An Introductory Look at Proverbs

In coming weeks, I'll be posting some of my notes from my study in Proverbs.  The commentaries I'm looking at include works by Charles Bridges, Warren Wiersbe, Derek Kidner, H.A. Ironside and other miscellaneous sources.   Here are some introductory notes that I'll be eventually sharing in my Sunday School class:


Although there are many subthemes, the main theme of the book of Proverbs is 'being wise'.  Gaining wisdom vs. remaining foolish. 


Wisdom - means being skillful in one’s relationships and responsibilities... observing and following   the Creator’s principles of order in the moral universe. 


Who wrote the book of Proverbs (and when)?   
  • Solomon is credited with creating and compiling most of the Proverbs (1:1; 10:1).  
  • Agur and Lemuel also wrote Proverbs 30 and 31 respectively. 
  • Approximately 971 to 686 B.C.
What is a proverb?   An online dictionary defines a proverb to be “a wise saying or precept; a didactic sentence”.  Pastor and teacher Dr. John MacArthur defines proverbs as “simple, moral statements or illustrations that highlight and teach fundamental truths and tendencies in life”.

Why study the book of Proverbs?    The first verses of the first chapter give several good reasons.   I will look at those in the coming days.  

No comments: