Friday, September 5, 2008

How to Know Right from Wrong

The first 'Christian Living' book I ever read the whole way through is called 'The Pursuit of Holiness' written by Jerry Bridges. A pastor of a church I had attended gave it to me about 15 years ago or more. It laid in a dresser drawer for awhile... and then on a bus trip to Detroit I decided to take the book with me and read it. I couldn't put the book down. At every food and bathroom break along the way, I remained in the bus to read my book.

I credit this book for sparking my love for reading and to develop my own pursuit of God. I decided to re-read the book and it is wonderful for my mind to go back to that time when I first read the words that helped lead me to a closer relationship with the Lord. For that, I owe Jerry Bridges a great debt of gratitude.

Last night, I read a page that poses questions to help in determining what is right and what is wrong. I'll share part of it here:

1). Is it helpful- physically, spiritually and mentally? (Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial - 1 Corinthians 6:12)

2). Does it bring me under its power? (Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything - again 1 Corinthians 6:12)

3). Does it hurt others? (Therfore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall - 1 Corinthians 8:13)

4). Does it glorify God? (So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God - 1 Corinthians 10:31)

The Pursuit of Holiness: 153 pages, packed with encouraging conviction.

No comments: