Friday, July 25, 2008

No More, My God, I Boast No More

Isaac Watts wrote this song. This hymn writer and theologian lived between the years of 1674 and 1748, and is known for such familiar tunes as "Joy to the World", "O God Our Help in Ages Past" and "When I Survey the Wonderous Cross". Let the words of this doctrinally rich song sink in...

No more, my God,
I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done;
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of thy Son.

Now, for the love I bear his name,
What was my gain I count my loss;
My former pride I call my shame,
And nail my glory to his cross.

Yes, and I must and will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake:
O may my soul be found in him,
And of his righteousness partake!

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before thy throne;
But faith can answer thy demands
By pleading what my Lord has done.

No comments: