Saturday, February 14, 2009

Salvation Belongs to Our God

‘Salvation’ is a term that Christians use frequently and may have obvious meaning to those familiar with it. But what DOES it mean? What are we being saved from? Millard Erickson in his extensive work on 'Christian Theology' defines salvation (and the need for it) like this: ‘As a violation of the will of God, sin results in enmity toward God. What is needed is to restore the broken relationship between God and the creature. This is the evangelical view of salvation’. Salvation means deliverance or rescue from the consequences of the Fall and of sin. What are we being rescued from? The guilt, power and pollution of sin.

Delivered. Rescued. SAVED! The Bible has much to say about salvation. Below is a small collection of verses on this great doctrine. There are many more… but be encouraged by these:

The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock; and exalted be God, the rock of my salvation, - 1 Samuel 22:47

O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting.
Then say, “Save us, O God of our salvation, and gather us and deliver us from the nations, to give thanks to Your holy name, and glory in Your praise.” - 1 Chronicles 15:33-34

Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God! – Psalm 3:7
Salvation belongs to the LORD. - Psalm 3:8
Return, O LORD, rescue my soul; Save me because of Your lovingkindness. – Psalm 6:4

Save, O LORD; - Psalm 20:9

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? - Psalm 27:1

Incline Your ear to me, rescue me quickly; Be to me a rock of strength, a stronghold to save me. Psalm 31:2

Make Your face to shine upon Your servant; Save me in Your lovingkindness. Psalm 31:16

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness. – Psalm 51:14

Save me, O God, by Your name, and vindicate me by Your power. - Psalm 54:1


As for me, I shall call upon God, and the LORD will save me. - Psalm 55:6

Save me, O God, Psalm 69:1

In Your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; Incline Your ear to me and save me. Psalm 71:2

Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; and deliver us and forgive our sins for Your name’s sake. – Psalm 79:9

Preserve my soul, for I am a godly man; O You my God, save Your servant who trusts in You. Psalm 86:2

Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the nations, to give thanks to Your holy name and glory in Your praise. – Psalm 106:47

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth. That Your beloved may be delivered, save with Your right hand, and answer me! - Psalm 108:5-6

Help me, O LORD my God; Save me according to Your lovingkindness. - Psalm 109:26

I love the LORD, because He hears my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live. The cords of death encompassed me and the terrors of Sheol came upon me; I found distress and sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the LORD: “O LORD, I beseech You, save my life!” - Psalm 116:1-4

I shall give thanks to You, for You have answered me, and You have become my salvation. – Psalm 118:21

I am Yours, save me; for I have sought Your precepts. - Psalm 119:94

I cried to You; save me and I shall keep Your testimonies. – Psalm 119:146

Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek Your statutes. – Psalm 119:155

For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation. – Psalm 149:4

Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the LORD GOD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation. – Isaiah 12:2

Behold, the LORD’S hand is not so short that it cannot save; - Isaiah 59:1

I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, my soul will exult in my God; for He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness - Isaiah 61:9


It is I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save. - Isaiah 63:1

Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are my praise. – Jeremiah 17:14

Salvation is from the LORD. – Jonah 2:9

But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation. – Micah 7:7


Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. – Habakkuk 3:17

She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins. – Matthew 1:21

For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. – Matthew 18:11

For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. - Luke 9:52

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved. – Acts 4:12

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes – Romans 1:16

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father – Galatians 1:3-4


It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, - 1 Timothy 1:15

The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. – 2 Timothy 4:18


For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men – Titus 2:11

And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation – Hebrews 5:9

Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. – Hebrews 7:24

Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God; - Revelation 19:1

No comments: