Thursday, February 26, 2009

Regeneration

I usually don't post blogs in the middle of the night, but tonight I couldn't sleep. We have some guests converging on our house this weekend for a special family event and so we set up a bed in our unfinished basement for me and my wife to sleep in. Sleeping in an unfinished basement is fine with me - I can sleep anywhere. The problem tonight is that our water softener decided it was time to go into its 'regen' mode, which it does on a regular schedule every nine days (or nights).

What is 'regen'? It means 'regeneration'. The system must go through a process of cleaning and rinsing to make the tanks and water lines pristine and like new again. It's quite an impressive setup and it cost me a lot of money. But while I laid there thinking I was never going to get my beauty sleep for tonight, it made me think of the real 'regeneration' that had happened in my own life. Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology book consisely defines this theological term as "a secret act of God in which he imparts new spiritual life to us. This is sometimes called being 'born again' (using language from John 3:3-8)".

First Corinthians 6:9-11 brings it home: "do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God." Paul says we were 'washed'. If we're truly Christians, we are 'washed'. Cleaned. Rinsed. The stains removed. Like new. Pristine. Regenerated!

No comments: