Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On Establishing Friendships

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will have dinner with my college roommate. Along with my family and his family, we will sit together and share stories of years ago. It's been over ten years since we've seen each other, so we have alot of catching up to do. I am reminded the importance of establishing and maintaining friendships as I see the years so quickly slip into the past. I dug through my journal and found this entry from a few years ago on 'Establishing Friendships':

A couple of things immediately come to mind, whether we are establishing new friendships or cultivating old ones:
1). As Christians, our friendships are built on the solid foundation of Christ, and when we get together to 'fellowship' with others, that time is spent around our common ground, i.e. our relationship/friendship with Him. Talking of God's work in our lives, sharing scriptures, etc.
2). Because of who we belong to, we have confidence to be ourselves, but yet always striving to improve our character and be the right kind of friend - which may require genuine changes of the heart in certain areas. One who is not overbearing or judgmental, willing to forgive and overlook perceived faults, but yet also willing to confront sin if necessary, speaking the truth in love.
3). Friendship is all about giving. What can I put into the relationship, rather than what gain will I receive. The strongest friendships have 2 people that try to out-do the other person in kindness, giving, etc. The weak friendships are the ones where one or both people are nothing but a drain on the other person. They literally suck them dry of all emotion.
4). I must cultivate my friendship with my most precious friend, the One who saved my sorry soul. Certainly we were created to be in relationships with others (it is not good for man to be alone!), but even if all other relationships fall away, I rest in the fact that I could go the rest of my life without one solitary earthly friend and all would be well - because of my friend and brother Christ.

No comments: