Sunday, May 18, 2008

For Better or for Worse

Yesterday, I was definitely outside of my comfortable Christian element. I spent some time at a non-Christian wedding. Alot of time. Not that I was enjoying myself so much that I just couldn't leave - I was there to help the photographer take a few photos, so we were there for the duration. So while I was enjoying the photo aspect of the wedding, it was the emptiness of the whole affair that made it such a drag. I never saw so many open bottles of beer under one roof. Anytime I needed to find the groom, all I had to do was look no more than five feet away from the bar. I can't imagine the tab for the booze at this wedding, but the executives at Budweiser couldn't have been happier. I wondered how all these drunk people were going to make it home safely. Emptiness. I couldn't help but think, 'this is as good as it gets for most of these people'. A really good dinner, a few beers, a couple wild dances, a limo ride... Emptiness.

Solomon summed this wedding up in three words "All is vanity" (Ecclesiastes 1:2b).

No comments: