Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Indestructible Word

I just cut my grass in the back yard. A few short days ago my yard was vibrant with bright yellow dandelions. Today my yard is white with dead dandelions. Not only did it remind me of how short a life span can be, whether a plant or a human life, but it also reminded me of a passage in Isaiah: "The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever" (Isaiah 40:8).

Grass, no matter how lush and green it can be at times will often be brown and crunchy in the midst of the heat of August.

Flowers, no matter how beautiful and colorful they can be (yes, even dandelions), the petals eventually fall off.

God's Word - no matter what kind of scrutiny - no matter who the scoffers may be - no matter what direction the culture turns - God's Word is always true, and always stands firm. The grass and the flower wither and fade, but God's Word is indestructible.

In the next few posts, I want to share some thoughts specifically about the Word, and how we can know with confidence that this indestructible book called the Bible really is from God.

Mark

No comments: