Thursday, August 7, 2008

George Mueller, Devoted to Prayer - Part 3

So, what can we learn from this man of God, George Mueller?

He was a man who was fully devoted to prayer. After having been sickly as a young man, by 1839, George was physically and mentally healthy than he’d ever been. He attributed this to his habit of rising early to pray (and the eccentric habit of dunking his head in cold water).

George also realized that God's sovereignty was at the very root of his confidence. He said, "God is almighty, the hearts of all men are in his hands."

I will let Mueller speak for himself as I make several observations from his life. Quotes are taken from the biography, Delighed in God, by Roger Steer.

Mueller had proper FOCUS – "My eyes look not at the empty stores and the empty purse, but to the riches of the Lord only".

Mueller had NO WORRIES – "Our need is my comfort"

Mueller had JOY – "Inexpressible was the delight I had in God, who had thus given me the full answer to my thousands of prayers"

Mueller had PATIENCE – "See how precious it is to wait on God! See how those who do not do so our confounded! Is it not manifest that it is most precious, in every way to depend on God?"

Mueller had VISION – "My chief object was the glory of God, by giving a practical demonstration as to what could be accomplished simply through the instrumentality of prayer and faith". (reflecting on the days when he was seeking God for wisdom regarding starting the orphanage)

Mueller had unshakable FAITH– "My hope was in God alone. I knew him, and I knew He would do what was best for me. My heart was satisfied with Him. I delighted myself in Him." (when he thought his first wife was dying from a serious illness. She survived that particular illness.)

Mueller had PERSEVERANCE – "The great fault of the children of God is, they do not continue in prayer; they do not go on praying; they do not persevere. If they desire anything for God’s glory, they should pray until they get it. He has heard my prayers tens of thousands of times. Once I am persuaded that a thing is right and for the glory of God, I go on praying for it until the answer comes – George Mueller never gives up!"

Many people would ask George the secret to his spiritual success, to which he would reply,
"There was a day when I died, utterly died. Died to George Muller, his opinions, preferences, tastes and will – died to the world, its approval or censure – died to the approval or blame of even my brethren and friends – and since then I have studied to show myself approved only unto God".

George Mueller did die... physically. On March 10, 1898 at 6:00am, George peacefully went to his heavenly home... but not without making an eternal impact in this world.

What will you and I accomplish as a result of meeting with God in prayer???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty convicting life, prayer...I guess all I can say is that I have so far to go. Always, always reaching forward, always failing to reach the mark...rise I will, rise I must for there is one greater than I...I must continue. Prayer, huh? Who would have thought it to be so simple? And it truly is, I must pray, pray for me Mark that I might have a passion for prayer and thank you very much for your message on it. A bucket of cold water, sounds like it might be a good idea! I actually hate cold showers, but, maybe I will try to get up first thing, take a cold shower and pray...I have to say that I wish I could pray like Jesus or Paul, or this man...more than the toss up to Gods I give throughout the day. I must confess, I buy the devils good in this matter!
With love and imperfection
Simon Marcus
John 3:30