Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Pledge Allegiance to What?

Am I the only one that thinks that the Pledge to the Christian flag is odd? There are a couple versions of this pledge, one of which goes like this:

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag, and to the Savior, for whose kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe."

It seems iconish or Catholic-esque to me. If we take the 'flag' part out of that paragraph then I could live with it because the rest of the words are mostly biblical (I would change the last phrase to say 'all who repent and believe'). I pledge my allegiance to the Savior alone, not to the recently man-made symbol of him. I read some things on the internet on how this flag came into being and its uses and such... I understand the symbolism that is meant here, but do we really need a 'Christian Flag', to divert our attention? Don't we already have the beauty of Christ to capture our gaze? Don't we already have the cross? Don't we already have biblical symbols that remind us of or point us to the Savior, like the ordinances of Communion and Baptism? Do we find any such pledge in the Bible?

I'm just asking...

No comments: