Friday, August 8, 2008

Pew Crimes

I recently read an outstanding book by James R. White called "Pulpit Crimes". In it, he suggests that the impotency found in today's Christian circles is largely due to the 'crimes' committed in the pulpit. In some cases, pastors (or anyone who stands behind the sacred desk) often have not taken their task of preaching the Word quite as seriously as they are expected to. Clarity of speech is non-existant at times. Explanations of crucial cornerstone doctrines maybe confusing or even flat out wrong. Proper exegesis, dividing the Word correctly, is a thing of the past.

In typical James R. White fashion, he does much to make the reader think through the issues. I did come to an unexpected conclusion, however, upon finishing the book. I wondered how many of those 'pulpit crimes' I had been committing as I teach Sunday School. Furthermore, I wondered how many 'PEW' crimes I had been committing. After all, the pastor is not the only criminal here, right?

I considered writing my own book on 'pew crimes'. If I were to write such a book, I would include the following 'pew crimes', of which there is enough evidence to convict any of us of being guilty:
1). Stumbling into church at the last minute, unprepared for worship. How often have we stayed up late on Saturday night for entertainment value, only to have our worship lackluster on Sunday morning.
2). A wandering and distracted mind during worship. The afternoon dinner or football game looms large in our minds while we're singing, 'How Great Thou Art'.
3). Pretending to know it all, thus being unteachable. We're a pretty intelligent bunch of Christians, we are...
4). Carrying a load of guilt from unconfessed sin into the worship service. Isaiah tells us in chapter 57 that our 'iniquities have made a separation between you and your God'.
5). Participating in the communion service without a full self-examination (eating and drinking condemnation to yourself).
6). Being an "over-Berean", that is, over-criticizing the pastor. Holding the pastor or teacher accountable to Biblical truth, as the noble Bereans did in the book of Acts, is one thing. Criticizing out of selfish motives is quite another.
7). Focusing on style and dress. Yes, the fashion police are alive and well in the church. We want to make sure we are respectful and modest in our attire, but our family motto has always been: 'we dress up on the inside'.

I am sure there are many others I could list, but I am starting to convict myself.
Are you as guilty as I am?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Mark, lay off the conviction, man. Ease up. Ouch!

No, thanks for the good thoughts. Those are things we don't often consider. They make a mockery of Christ and his importance to the unsaved who see us.

As always, thanks for the good thoughts.