Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Man With the Withered Hand - Part 2

"... Get up and come forward!” And He said to them, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?” But they kept silent. After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. - Mark 3:3b-5

The Pharisees were trying to catch Jesus in a trap again. Was He going to break the Sabbath?! Jesus always confounded them with astonishing answers. He posed to them a rhetorical question: 'Well what do you guys think? Is it OK to do good on the Sabbath'. I guess they hadn't expected this kind of a question... if they had expected it, I imagine they would have responded. But they were silent. They weren't just 'outsmarted', they were caught in their own trap - by the One who already knew what they were thinking. He was grieved at the hardness of their heart.

It is both a comforting thing AND a scary thing... that, if Jesus knew these wicked Pharisees hard hearts and evil thoughts, then he certainly knows mine. Comforting, because He knows when I hurt, when I fear, when I lack faith... but also scary, because He knows those same wicked and evil thoughts that entertain my mind. This is incentive for me to seek purity of heart. It is incentive for me to take every thought captive. It is incentive for me to be on the lookout against the enemy who seeks to destroy me by using my own thoughts and imaginations. It is incentive for me to be vigilant to protect my mind from becoming dull and... withered.

No comments: