Sunday, March 1, 2009

Blessed Beyond Measure

I don't know how many blessings in a weekend one man can enjoy, but I will list three of them (although there were many more).

1). My parents celebrated 50 years of marriage yesterday (congratulations, Mom and Dad, I love you). As I shared at their party, this is a major accomplishment. The world defines 'success' in terms of money or status, but I see 'success' differently. Success is keeping a promise to each other and to God, for better or worse, richer or poorer, sickness and in health. That is success. And that is a blessing.
2). At the celebration, one individual stood up and shared some things I didn't know about my grandfather (who went to heaven some twenty years ago). He told my mom and dad about how much he appreciated my grandfather who had taught him Sunday School as a youth and how much of an impact he had in shaping his life. That too is a blessing.
3). My oldest son was baptized this morning at church. He gave his life to the Lord more than a year ago, and today he followed in obedience to go into the baptismal tank and show the world what Jesus Christ has done in his heart. At his young age, he understands that there is no saving grace in baptism. Salvation is not by an act or a work that we do. He understands that and now has wanted to be a young testimony to the public. He quoted John 1:1 to the leadership of the church as one of his favorite verses before the baptism service. He did great under the 'pressure' of the pillars of the church gathered around to hear why he wanted to go through with this solemn but joyous act. I was very proud of him. This event was a great blessing, not only for me, but for our whole family.

Blessed beyond measure,
Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that ended up working out with your church's rules, etc.