Sunday, November 29, 2009

Casual Worship

On a Thanksgiving weekend visit with family, I noticed a church sign advertising their 'casual worship' service.   I assumed that they meant more laid back kind of environment, no suits, no ties, etc...  While I kinda laughed out loud when I first saw the sign, the term 'casual worship' conjured up other things in my mind after I thought about it for a moment or two.

Isn't that what ails us?  We have a  'worship deficit disorder'.  We are too casual in our approach.  I am not referring to wearing jeans or singing contemporary music.   The heart of the issue is the issue of the heart.   I have been in many 'church services' where we have entered into worship in a casual manner, forgetting who we've supposedly come to worship.  We (me included) think at times that we are coming to hang out with 'our buddy Jesus'.  We come to sing a couple of catchy tunes, we feel good with our plastic smile and we are unaware of our great sin of thinking more of ourselves than we ought to think.   Instead of falling flat on our faces in reverential adoration to the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, we stumble into the pew unprepared to offer acceptable worship to the King of kings.   I was convicted by seeing this 'casual worship' sign.  How much of my future worship will be casual?  How much of it will be unacceptable?  How much heart preparation will there be?   How much prayer will I have invested beforehand and how much confession of sin will there be?   Will there be any thought of the glory, majesty, loftiness and beauty of the Lord as I enter the room for corporate worship?   Or should I just go ahead with my all-too-often 'casual worship'.....

No comments: