Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just Enough

How much money do we want?  How much do we need?  Finances seem to be the endless topic of discussion in these days of economic uncertainty.  As I study through Proverbs, there are many passages that deal with money.  Most of them are common sense instructions, like being generous (11:24-24), avoiding dishonest gain (13:11), not being greedy (15:27)... and others like them.

The Christian life is often characterized by balance.  Too much of something in one direction can have a bad effect.  Too little of something also can have a bad effect.  Extremes in either direction can be devastating!  And so it is with money or possessions.  Check out what the writer of Proverbs says in chapter 30:8-9:  "Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is my portion, lest I be full and deny Thee and say 'Who is the Lord?'  Or lest I be in want and steal and profane the name of my God".   That's balance!

How much money do we want?  How much do we need?  Just enough.

1 comment:

Jon Daley said...

8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.