Friday, December 19, 2008

A Calculated, Planned Act of Kindness

A few days ago, I witnessed what I called a 'random act of kindness'. Last night my family was on the receiving end of a 'calculated, planned act of kindness'. A few years ago I met a man who was going through some difficult life struggles. Through many circumstances and Christian friends, he was able to get his feet back on the ground and seems to be enjoying the blessings of God in his life as he walks in obedience to what he is learning from the Word. There is a stability that I see in his life that he seemed to lack when we first met. I don't know exactly how God used us in his life during these last few years... but he showed up on our porch last night and surprised us with a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs. He'd taken time out of his busy schedule to minister to us and to be a blessing to our family. Of course we welcomed him to come in and join us for dinner. We ate well and had dessert and shared a few laughs and talked about what the Lord is doing in our respective lives. This was no random act of kindness. Our friend carefully planned how he was going to surprise us with a meal. We appreciated this kind of thoughtfulness, and I am reminded of Proverbs 19:22 - What is desired in a man is his kindness...

No comments: