Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Letdown

In a conversation with my mom earlier today, I used a phrase that I hate! After I hung up the phone, I thought 'how did that phrase slip out of my mouth'? The phrase I used in describing the weekend after Christmas: "Christmas letdown".

Are you kidding me? After celebrating the greatest miracle EVER. After celebrating the fact that God became man... Emmanuel, God with us. After celebrating the Jesus left his throne and condescended to a manger to save us wretches... after celebrating the birth of the Christ-child who would eventually be led to the cross to be battered, bruised and wounded for me... and I would even think there could possibly be something such as 'Christmas letdown'? Shame on me for thinking such thoughts! Shame on me for uttering such a nearly blasphemous complaint.

But as I thought about it, I supposed there probably is a sort of Christmas letdown for some people. Placing their affections in things other than the Savior. Not only would that be a letdown, but it would be robbery: robbing themselves of joy and robbing God of glory. May it never be said that lovers of Jesus would experience this kind of Christmas letdown.

No comments: