Sunday, June 29, 2008

Dynamic Devotional Living

I have many things to learn about being a parent, and therefore I am always reading material on how to raise my children effectively. I have read many resources on parenting. Just as with anything, there are some really good books and pamphlets, but there is alot of junk out there too. There is nothing worse than a parenting book that is all psycho-babble mumbo jumbo. Who writes these books anyway?

Our kids just finished a week of Vacation Bible School where our church hosted 'The Musical Merrill Family'. While they were here visiting our church and ministering to our family, I noticed a book they had for sale by Gail Martin, "What Every Child Should Know Along the Way". I leafed through it real quick and decided it might be worth the $10 they were asking for it. Today I read through about half the book. This is probably one of the best parenting resources I have ever read (at least so far). The premise of the book is developed in the first chapter on "Dynamic Devotional Living", which the author defines as "being vigorously active and profoundly dedicated to the love, praise and service to God; resulting in the power of God affecting further life transformation, thereby producing the joy of holy Christ-like living". This book is solidly biblical and contains valuable practical advice.

There is a section on manners, practical living checklists for specific age groups, the importance of mining out childrens talents and spiritual gifts. There are chapters ranging from personal safety to biblical character traits.

I am sure we will be referring to this book over and over again. I strongly recommend this book to any parent with children still at home.

Mark

No comments: