Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Footsteps

I lost a couple of friends this past week. They were dear soles to me for ten years or more. Yes, I had to throw my work shoes away. I hauled them to the dumpster kicking and screaming. I hated to part with them, but they were literally on their last leg. I could barely stand to see them go. They had been good to me (and comfortable to boot). I guess I'll have to foot the bill for a new pair soon; I just hope they're not toe expensive.

As I pondered the passing of my reliable friends, I couldn't help but wonder how many times did I sin with these shoes on. How many people did I encourage with these shoes on? How many people heard the gospel from me while I wore these shoes? How much ministry happened with these shoes on my feet? How many people did I offend? Boy, if these old shoes could talk... How many places did the soles of these shoes touch that weren't pleasing to God? How many kind words spoken, how many victories, how many defeats?

Well, they're gone now. They have nothing to say - nothing to do now. Other shoes have risen up and taken their place. Do they have big shoes to fill? We'll see...

No comments: