Sunday, December 6, 2009

Admission of Wrong

Genuine remorse goes a long way.  Asking forgiveness is not the easiest thing for someone to do.    A couple weeks ago, someone lied to me.  They were slick in their deception, but it wasn't slick enough.  I saw through the weave of lies.   I haven't fallen off the turnip truck yet.  I was angry and hurt, but I moved on... hoping that this person would be convicted in their hearts after I had questioned them on the truthfulness of their 'story'.

Well, today that person approached me and told me that they were sorry for their actions.  They admitted that they hadn't been entirely truthful and they asked... begged... for my forgiveness.  I was ready to extend that forgiveness to them because it was the right thing to do.   I have been forgiven much in my life.   It wasn't necessarily ME that was wronged anyway... it was a sin against God.   I was happy to hear this person be man-enough to admit a transgression.  It made me have an enormous amount of respect for him...  it goes a long way in restoring the trust that was breached.    A very short time after he had asked for and received my forgiveness, he approached me again and said, 'I feel SOOOO much better now!'    Of course he did!  When someone lies, if they have any conscience left, they will be eaten up with guilt.   Making things right lifts a heavy burden that our souls are not meant to bear.     Had I not forgiven this person, then BOTH of us would have been carrying around that load.   And now both of us are free from that brutal heaviness.

No comments: