Saturday, December 19, 2009

Whiter Than Snow


We woke up this morning to a fresh coat of snow this morning.  God opened up His storehouses and gave us our first snow to blanket the ground this season.   It was bright. It was pure.  It covered all the deadness of the leafless trees and thistles left over from autumn.  It was beautiful.

My son, not realizing the allegory in his words, said 'Dad, I love the snow, God must love us alot to give us snow'.

My mind immediately raced to Isaiah chapter 1 and Psalm 51.  "Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow" and "Wash me and I shall be whiter than snow".  What could be whiter than snow?!  It's pretty white!  And yet God promises to wash us until we are whiter than snow.

I love snow for that very reason... it reminds us of the cleansing we received from the blood of Jesus Christ.  The thistles of sin are covered by the atonement made possible by what Jesus did on that bloody cross.  

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas?  No need to dream about that.  It's already a reality for those who put their faith and trust in the soul cleansing blood of the Savior whose birth we celebrate next week!

No comments: