Monday, March 16, 2009

Action Words

I wondered this morning about the inactivity of myself and my fellow Christians. If we think about it, often times we are a bunch of immobile, sit-still, lay-down, bordering-on-lazy people. Even our minds are in 'park', our senses disengaged and dulled by the blue images radiating out of the electronic box in the corner of the livingroom. I sometimes find myself like a big, heavy, over-loaded truck parked along the side of the road, late for a delivery because I am out of gas or have a flat tire. Sluggish. Inactive. Immobile.

After my shower, my morning pre-work routine usually consists of briefly catching up on the news, pouring a bowl of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest, and then engaging in a refreshing reading in the book of Psalms. Today I found myself reading some 'action words'. Words that run counter to inactivity and immobility... You know, the kind of words or phrases that provoke you to want to 'do something', but at the same time strike you between the eyes because you know you've been like a sluggard turning in his bed like a door turning on its hinges... words like 'give' and 'call' and 'make' and 'sing' and 'speak' and 'seek' and 'remember'. Where are these punch-packing action words?

Psalm 105:1-5
Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples.
Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
Speak of all His wonders.
Glory in His holy name;
Let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.
Seek the LORD and His strength;
Seek His face continually.
Remember His wonders which He has done,

Lets get moving!

1 comment:

Tammy Melton, author said...

I just stumbled upon your podcast and read this. You may be interested in Bruce Wilkinson's soon-to-be released book called, *You Were Born For This!* I have been attending a conference last week and this week with him teaching us about this book. He said, "God is not interested in willingness as much as He is in action!"

You might also be interested in my own book, *Loving God With All Five Senses*...check it out at my website, www.legacyministries.info.

Thanks for your post!
Tammy Melton
www.tammymelton.blogspot.com