Saturday, March 21, 2009

Building the Faith of a Child

A few days ago I bought my youngest son a new bike. He had well outgrown the other one over the winter and with the weather getting nicer it was time to 'spring' for a new one. Today the back wheel was locking up and we had to take the bike back and make an exchange. Only problem was that we walked out empty handed. They didn't have a bike to replace the damaged one.

So we left with the cash in our pockets and my son was almost in tears now that he was bike-less. That's a tough spot to be in: six-and-a-half years old and no bike. I felt terrible. I was sad for him. I promised that we'd find one sooner or later. We went into another nearby store and they didn't have what we were looking for, so we left... even more dejected than before.

We jumped into the van to make the long sad ride home. I told my son that God cared about him and his bike situation and that if He saw fit, He'd provide him with a new one... and if not, we'll just try to be content and keep looking at another time. Just then I careened into the entryway of another local store on the way home and said 'buddy, lets try this place'. He didn't have much of a look of confidence but he agreed we should look.

We walked to the back of the store and their were hundreds of bikes. And there it stood, all shiny and gold. I think I saw a glow around it. He mounted the brand spankin' new bike with a wide grin and said, 'Hey Dad, I'd like to take this one home!' He literally pedaled the bike from the back of the store to the cash register, and may have had enough adrenaline to ride it the whole way home. He was one happy kid. On the ride home, he told me that he just knew God was going to find him a bike that he liked. "Do you think God was trying to teach you something about having faith?", I asked. "I think so, Dad".

I love that God would use a broken bike and then finding a new bike to teach a little boy (and his dad) about faith.

No comments: