Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Good Investment

I have some good investment advice. Even when Wall Street isn't doing so well, you are guaranteed a good return on this investment: buy good theology books. Read them. Study them. It goes without saying, that Christians ought to be spending time reading their Bibles, but buying theologically sound material and keeping it at your fingertips is one investment that doesn't go sour. I was thinking tonight about how blessed I am with good reading material. I like to read, and it follows that I spend alot of money on books. While some people I know are complaining and fretting about their 401K's and mutual funds in an uncertain economic climate, I am collecting all the blessings of the dividends that a library of theology pays.

I am half way through the first of three volumes of a work by Puritan author William Gurnall entitled The Christian in Complete Armour. I paid $19.99 for these paperback books and I can state confidently that so far, this has been one of the best books I have ever read. The author sheds much light on the warfare we are engaged in against our enemy the devil. He teaches the reader how to wear his armor, what the enemy's tactics are, how to be assured of victory, and other valuable information in the fight. The lessons learned from a work like this far exceed the price paid for the books. Does any mutual fund or stock provide this kind of return? Hardly.

No comments: