Friday, March 6, 2009

Clueless

Now I want you to know, brethren…”, Paul says in Philippians 1:12. It’s a common phrase that the Apostle uses. In this case, he was writing to the church at Philippi to let them know of his condition. With Paul being under house arrest, being in high spirits was the last thing they might be expecting. But, oh no… Paul didn’t want them having wrong thoughts about him or his condition or the progress of the gospel. He didn’t want them being clueless or ignorant of his situation.

Paul uses a similar phrase in Colossians 2:1, “For I want you to know”. And again in 1 Corinthians 11:3, “For I want you to understand”. Or yet in two more places, Romans 1:13 and 1 Corinthians 10:1, “…I do not want you to be unaware, brethren…”. Do you get the impression that Paul did not want the Christians of his time to be clueless, ignorant or unaware? How about in 1 Thessalonians 4:13? “We do not want you to be uninformed, brethren…”. Galatians 1:11: “For I would have you to know…”. The fact that Paul repeats himself (repeatedly), tells me that the Holy Spirit is emphasizing something to us.

Ours is a generation of Christians who are probably the most unaware in all of human history… am I right? Don’t we all (myself included) walk around in our own comfortable Christian bubble, completely oblivious of the spiritual famine around us? We’re unaware and I wonder why. We’ve developed spiritual calluses three feet thick and our hearts are like granite. All the while our relatives, friends and neighbors are running headlong through the wide gate that leads to destruction.

We professing believers (myself included again) are often unaware of our creation around us. We miss a delicate rose, a horse galloping in a field, even a beautiful sunset because from the moment the alarm clock goes off in the morning until our heads land in the pillow at night we are going 90 miles per hour. We ignore a baby's laugh, or are oblivious to an act of kindness - because we rush from one meeting to the next and from one shopping center to another... when one TV show is over we click to the other station. Clueless. Ignorant. Unaware.

“Now I want you to know”, that I plan to make some changes so I don’t remain in my clueless, ignorant, unaware state. Will you too?
Mark

No comments: