Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Questions to Ask About Prayer

Biblically Oriented Questions I Need to Ask Myself About “Prayer”

Are my prayers so excessively self-centered and self-serving that God is barely listening?
For whom am I interceding? Am I using prayer to make ME feel better? Is it really about what I want anyway?
Job 1:1-5

Do I bore God with my prayers? Is there any passion in my communication to him that show that I really love him like I say that I do?

Am I attentive and alert when I pray or do I insult the King of the Universe by letting my mind wander?
Colossians 4:2

Am I using my prayer time unwisely? Am I unprepared when I come to prayer? Do I rush in and rush out of the presence of God?
Psalm 5:3

Is there some sin that I am holding onto with a white-knuckle grip and yet I dare approach the God who let his only Son die to save me from the guilt and stain of that sin?
Psalm 66:16-20

More Questions to Ask Myself About Prayer:

When I speak to God, do I speak to Him with infinitely more respect and honor than I would speak to my own earthly father?

The Word tells me to make my requests known to God. When I present my requests to Him, do I ask in a way that makes God my personal bell-hop who should answer at the snap of my fingers? Or am I really asking humbly in faith for things that would be according to His will? Am I expectant? Am I presumptuous?

In corporate prayer, who is my audience? Am I trying to impress someone else with the same old, stale, predictable, flowery language? Or is it really God I am talking to?

What kind of empty and trivial things can I remove from my life that distract me in prayer and cause my mind to be dull? Furthermore, what IMPORTANT things are also distracting me and cloud my thinking when I come to meet God in prayer? Are these things that important that they interrupt my fellowship with God? How will I set these things aside for awhile?

More questions than answers sometimes...

No comments: